Sunday, August 7, 2011

Welcome to Southeast Arizona, Aug. 5th, 2011


On the way from Tucson to Cave Creek Ranch I traveled through beautiful Sonoran Desert with saguaros, ocotillo, and creosote. This is the monsoon season in Southeast Arizona and the desert landscape is green and full of life. 

From the van I saw varying weather patterns across the vast horizon. In the distance were distinct pockets of lightning and localized rain. I saw at least five different types of clouds at a given time. Weather changes quickly from bright sun and dry heat to dark, cooler monsoon.

                                                   How many types of clouds can you see?

As we drove rocky dirt roads over hills and washes I saw the landscape grow intensely green and lush. The Chirichaua Mountains dramatically appeared and the land took on a whole new dimension. 

After a three-hour drive (the last 45 minutes traveling at about 25 mph) we arrived at Cave Creek Ranch. I stepped out of the van and immediately sensed how special this place really is. The air around me vibrated with the wings of over twenty hummingbirds. (I soon learned that there are thirteen known species here at the Ranch.) Birds of all types, colors, and sizes, with various songs filled the air around the front porch of the main office. We quickly checked in and prepped for our first collection.


            My first caterpillar is from the Geometridae family. They are commonly called inchworms. 

            We record the location, date, caterpillar family, quantity, and host plant on collection bags.


Night Observation/Collection Begins
 “I wear my sun glasses at night” . . . so I can snuggle various sphinx moths. The night-time light trap uses a mercury vapor lamp which is incredibly bright so I was advised to protect my eyes.

   

1 comment:

  1. Is this really a place exist in this world. If yes, then every person want to be a part of this ranch.

    Southeast Arizona Ranches for sale

    ReplyDelete